Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Ghost Story

I hate ghosts - not ghosts themselves, but the idea of them. I hate the idea that there is someone/thing that is so restless it has to "haunt" a certain place forever, or really for any length of time. It's just creepy to me. It also brings up a whole slew of afterlife questions that don't jive with my perfect vision of afterlife: reincarnation or heaven - NOTHING ELSE.
The summer Will and I were married, we were on tour with a Shakespeare company in Montana. We traveled to a new town almost every day, and two thirds of the time, we would be put up in hotels. The other nights, people from the community would put us up. As the newlyweds of the company, we often got the best homestays. Sometimes there would be a bottle of champaign in our room. The people of Montana are wonderful. Let me say that again: THE PEOPLE OF MONTANA ARE WONDERFUL.
But there was one night. We were in a tiny little town practically off the map. The town sponsor decided who would be sleeping where, and as a TREAT for us, the newlyweds, she decided that we would be staying in the haunted Bed and Breakfast.
To make a long story short, after brushing past all the headless mannequins in wedding dresses, we were shown our room. I made Will promise not to fall asleep before I did. I was not interested in meeting the former town residents that evening. Will kept his promise. BUT. I woke up in the middle of the night. No problem, I thought, I can handle this. I'll just roll over and fall back asleep. I don't need Will to fall back asleep. So I rolled over, and there, lying next to me was a 20 something woman with strawberry blonde hair cut in a bob. She said, "Why are you afraid of us?" At that moment, I felt a mixture of TOTAL FREAKING-OUTEDNESS and embarrassment. I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, living, dead, or undead. "I'm not!" I said. It's just that I'm not used to the whole idea." She went on, "You know when you're reading a book..." I interrupted her. "Hold on." and rolled over. "WILL!!!!" I started shaking him awake. He woke up, and I told him what happened, but even the next morning, I couldn't be sure if it was a dream that woke me or the strawberry blonde lady herself.
The next morning we went down for breakfast lovingly made for us by the 93 year old proprieter. "How are you doing this morning?" we asked. She replied, "Well, if I were any better, I'd be... DEAD."
!!!

Ghost Story

3 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

SHEEEEEZ!!!

That gave me goosebumps mamma! Did that really happen? There were mannequins in the house?? I honestly am a skeptic and think that maybe your mind played a little trick on you but I'm not one to dismiss things outright. I just don't know on this matter. If you don't like ghosts then stay away from movies like The Shining, Sixth Sense and The Others. You'll freak out..gulp.

dc

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Susie said...

No way! I got goosebumps, too. I think I would've been outta there. You're a brave lady.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger LadyBug said...

Ooooh, that was creeeeeepy. I'd sure hope it was a dream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter