Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

It was like meeting Hansen

In the World of Embarrassing Stories, I just remembered one that made me cry.

My husband and I met while touring with a Shakespeare company in beautiful Montana. One summer, we were out at breakfast, and a family came over to our table to say hi, that they'd seen the show, etc. etc. Anyway, they stayed in my mind because 1) I found out that the mom and I had the same birthday and 2) they introduced us to their little girl, Jack. She was a pretty little girl with long blond hair about 8 years old. Anyway, it was a pleasant encounter. Back in Chicago, months later, I would tell W. that if we were to ever have a little girl, maybe we should name her Jack, cause that is just too cool.
Fast forward a year later. W. and I went to Montana to visit friends and to see the shows that year. While waiting for the show to start (it's an outdoor theater), the SAME FAMILY came over to us to say hi. I was so excited to see them because I remembered them! We've met a lot of people touring Montana, and from year to year, it's hard to remember faces, much less names. But THIS family I remembered. The mom had the same birthday as me, which happened to be THAT DAY!
"Happy birthday!" I said.
"Wow! You remember!" she said.
"Sure, I said. And I also know your name is Jack - cause I told my husband that if we ever have a little girl, we're going to name her Jack!"
"Except he's a boy."
pan over to little 9 year old boy looking anguished that I just called him a girl
"Oh, of course."

The conversation ended without even the standard niceties. They walked away. I wanted to die.

I wonder if Jack has gotten his hair cut yet.

It was like meeting Hansen

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Circus Kelli said...

Oh wow, darlin... that IS embarassing...

Hey... you were touring with a Shakespeare company?? Was that a company from Chicago?? I think my half-sis did that... do you know an A.J.?

That would be freaky if you did.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Greenthumb said...

LMAOF!!! Good one Mamaramma!

That so would be something I would do too.

lord..still laughing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter