Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Of Pride, Prejudice, and Dolls in Houses

For the last two months, I have been working with two high school classes as an Artist in Residence from a theatre here in town. The juniors wrote a modernized scene based on Pride and Prejudice, and the seniors rehearsed the last scene from A Doll's House, but set it in three different time periods: 1879, 1946, and 2005. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I have taken over their English class, and gotten to know them better. Where at first, they seemed like young punks just waiting to stomp on any shred of self confidence I walked into the room with, by the end, they were "my kids", my cohorts. Thursday night, we presented these scenes to about 200 people at the theatre I work with. Their teacher, their families, their classmates, and their friends all came out to support them, and they were so good. I can't even tell you. We may even have a future actor or two in the bunch. Anyway, this isn't as much of a tribute to them as I would like it to be, but here they are: my dedicated, amazingl, talented bunch. You were wonderful, and I'm going to miss you all. And thank you [junior who played Darcy] for wearing your own zoot suit to the performance. THAT ROCKED!

Of Pride, Prejudice, and Dolls in Houses

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Greenthumb said...

what a great opportunity for you. it's such a rewarding experience when you see them shine thru, when in the beginning you're thinking this is never going to work. young people are amazing.

CONGRATS on a job well done.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Congratulations! Lucky kids to have someone so dedicated to their success. I'm blog surfing some of my favorite dooce commenters this evening. Your daughter's name is beautiful. When I was a child (loooong time ago), I read a book about a little girl called Wren, but I've never actually known anyone who used the name. Very nice. Looking at your profile, I see Emmylou and Bozeman, which reminds me of a story. About oh, 15 years ago, my husband and I were traveling the western U.S. and wandered into Bozeman, a delightful but unplanned overnight stop. We went into a little music store where there was a poster up saying that Emmylou was playing that night in the school auditorium! And there were plenty of tickets! We couldn't believe it, both being big fans. So within an hour we had great seats in a little school auditorium, and Emmylou's first song was "Streets of Baltimore," which just happened to be our home city at the time. One of our favorite travel memories.

You have a lot going on there! I wish you well.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Congratulations! Lucky kids to have someone so dedicated to their success. I'm blog surfing some of my favorite dooce commenters this evening. Your daughter's name is beautiful. When I was a child (loooong time ago), I read a book about a little girl called Wren, but I've never actually known anyone who used the name. Very nice. Looking at your profile, I see Emmylou and Bozeman, which reminds me of a story. About oh, 15 years ago, my husband and I were traveling the western U.S. and wandered into Bozeman, a delightful but unplanned overnight stop. We went into a little music store where there was a poster up saying that Emmylou was playing that night in the school auditorium! And there were plenty of tickets! We couldn't believe it, both being big fans. So within an hour we had great seats in a little school auditorium, and Emmylou's first song was "Streets of Baltimore," which just happened to be our home city at the time. One of our favorite travel memories.

You have a lot going on there! I wish you well.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Amanda B. said...

Yay for you and the kiddos. It is so rewarding to see young people, (not the we are all soooo old ourselves..) devote themselves to something like theatre and art. Especially these days, when things seem rougher for the kids than it used to.

Kudos to you for helping them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter