Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

This post is just like reading People Magazine's StarTracks!...sort of, not.

David Letterman just had a kidnapping scare. Some lunatic in Montana (my favorite state - no offense to other valuable governances, it's just where my heart hangs its hat) was apparently plotting to kidnap his toddler, Harry. On the Late Night show Monday night, Letterman tipped his hat to the people and sheriff's office of Choteau, MT, where his ranch, estate, mansion - whatever! is, where the officials brought this lunatic in, and where Will, myself, and some other folks once presented Shakespeare's "The Tempest" to a gracious audience of about 100 on the lawn of a retirement home in a horrible windstorm - some might say, a Tempest! (Does that win the award for the longest run on sentence today?)
Anyway, all this reminded me that Choteau was where I had one of my celebrity sightings- so now may I present for you... (ahem) (*trumpets and fanfare*)
MAMARAMMA'S CELEBRITY SIGHTINGS

1. In college, I went to see Mr. Holland's Opus at the Biograph Theatre in Chicago, Waiting in line to see the movie was one Emo Phillips, the comedian.
2. Also, in college, during the first season of Friends, my friend was in a play produced by some graduates of Northwestern Univeristy, David Schwimmer's alma mater. He was at the cast party, but sat in a darkened corner and wore sunglasses the whole time. Give me a break! I hear he's a big jerk. You can tell me if I'm wrong.
3. My first summer touring with Montana Shakespeare, we played this beautiful resort area, Chico Hot Springs. At the pool/grill, we saw Meg Ryan, pre-divorce, leaving with her kids. Some German little girls asked for her autograph and she obliged.
4. My second summer, my parents were visiting in CHOTEAU, and we all went out to breakfast at a little restaurant. When we got up to leave, Ed Harris and his wife,Amy Madigan were seated at our table. My dad about had a heart attack.
5. My third and last summer touring MT we were back at Chico Hot Springs, and this time Dennis Quaid, post-divorce, and some blonde hottie actually came to see our show. We were doing the Comedy of Errors, and I think I drove him away, He left before the first act was over. I had later reports that he was drunk and caused a ruckus in the dining room. He sped off in his Cadillac Escalade.
6. Also in Montana, in Bozeman, while waiting in line to see the movie Signs, we saw Michael Keaton and someone I assumed to be his son. They saw the movie too.
7. Finally, this fall when Will was doing his show in NYC, Little Bird and I spotted Blythe Danner and classy lady friend walking down the street. I was excited, but the New Yorkers I was with were so been there, done that.

That, my friends, concludes my list. It is useless, but I had fun remembering!
Have a wonderful evening, morning, afternoon - whatever!

This post is just like reading People Magazine's StarTracks!...sort of, not.

8 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Blogger Cat said...

Man! I never see ANYBODY. GOSH! No, scratch that. My senior year in high school, on a plane on the way to Grad Night at Disneyland, I saw Victor Kiriakis, AKA: John Aniston! You know, Jennifer's daddy? Which WAS actually a big deal to me and my best friend as we were HARD CORE Day's of Our Lives fans at the time. Oh, ho, ho, yes we WERE!
Oh, and Alan Thicke was on the same flight. He was rude. I was way more excited about Victor. Victor KIRIAKIS. I wish I could convey the way John Aniston always said that last name on the show. SO hilariously affected.
And that's it for me.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Cat said...

Mamaramma, I too have an unabashed love for the AI experience. Mikalah, I agree, did not have the voice, and HAD to go. I just felt sad IN GENERAL.. I sure didn't want to hear her sing again... brrrrr! Shivers at the thought! In answer to your question, I actually do agree that Constantine's performances are affected, and a tad disingenuous. Constantine, however, isn't anymore affected than say, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, or any number of other musical geniuses out there, you know? I mean, have you SEEN some of these guys perform? Whoo-wee! When Robert Plant was with Zeppelin, DAMN! He was freaking hilarious to watch! (And his tight pants were often an embarrassment... Look away! Look away!) Anyway, I am under the impression that Constantine CAN sing... and I hope he doesn't prove me wrong. Does that make sense?
Plus, I really do think he'd be awesome in musical theater, so he's definitely got a career out there somewhere.
Ooooh, sorry for the dissertation! ;)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger mrtl said...

Mamaramma, I clicked on your site from Cat's yesterday. You're a hoot and a half; where have you been all my life?

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Susie said...

when I was here earlier, I thought, "darn, I ain't nevah seed nobody," (I was a Southern plantation dweller when I was here earlier), but upon further reflection, I do have something to contribute to this "thread" (am I using that properly?): Just a few moments before Mary Chapin Carpenter became a supah-stah, Jif and I went to see her, and actually chatted with her during a break, at a little jazz club in Baltimore; once when I was a features intern at a city newspaper, I interviewed David Copperfield by telephone, for an article; and last, but not least, just a year or so ago, Charles S. Dutton was seated a couple of tables away from us at a restaurant near our home. There. Not too shabby, huh?

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Mamaramma said...

Cat, Mrtl, Susie - you're all internet celebs yourself, so now I can add you guys to my list... well, if I ever actually saw you.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Oooh, how I love celebrity siting stories.

And what is up with famous people moving to Montana?

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Homestead said...

I picked up cow shit samples on Ted Turner's ranch AND Michael Keaton's property in Montana when I was in college. AND I met Brooke Shield's dog. THAT was a fun summer job.

But enough about me.... what I really want to say is I love Shakespeare in the Parks..... Montana's little cultural gem.

I think the reason so many celebs go to Montana is the same reason so many crazy people do... they can blend in better.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Amanda B. said...

Oh, Michael Keaton is hothothot. And so is Emo Phillips. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter