Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

A Couple of Months Off - It's What They Would Deserve

We're still waiting to hear about our Teach for America acceptance status. They send out yea/nay's on April 14 and until then it's just a waiting game. If one or both of us gets in, we'll be moving somewhere as soon as June so we'll have to flash into packing action - which should be a joy with an almost one year old - but who said I never liked adventure?
I have reason to believe that Will is more likely to get accepted than me. He's kind of a superstar interviewer in my opinion, and I was there for part of his group interview process, so I saw how well he did. I, on the other hand, was awkward, awkward, awkward. Some examples:

1. In our sample teaching lesson, I decided to teach how to count to simple music. I got the room clapping in time, and then proceeded to forget how to sing "Happy Birthday". It came out of my mouth like a cassette tape was fast forwarding. Who here has ever forgotten to sing Happy Birthday????

2. In my personal interview, my interviewer asked "You've heard how emotionally and physically challenging Teach for America can be. Under what circumstances do you think you might quit?"
I knew that she wanted to hear that nothing would make me quit. That I was a determined, motivated, all systems go under any kind of weather type of gal. But something in me couldn't give a blanket answer like that, so I said,
"Well, death.... Not mine, but if someone really close to me were to die, I might have to quit... (All the while I'm thinking, "Wha??? What are you saying? Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" But she kept writing, so I felt I had to go on...) I mean. I'm not going to quit because the students behave worse than I expected, or the job is harder than I expected... (She's still writing, what does she want???) but if my husband or my baby were to die, I might have to quit ( GOD - I'm so morbid! she's still writing! This sounds so bad!)...
Or maybe I'd just take a couple of months off."

ADDENDUM!!!
I had to add this Bozeman Police Report from TODAY, people, TODAY:

"A drunken man on North 17th Avenue was "acting like the exorcist" Monday. He was turned over to a friend."

Only in Bozeman

A Couple of Months Off - It's What They Would Deserve

6 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh, Mama, you crack me up. You are such a delight, and I'm sure even furiously writing interviewers could see that. If you both are chosen, they'll put you in the same school, or at least the same town, right? All the best to both of you; I know it will work out beautifully.
And I'm with you, if my damn family dies, I'm taking a couple of months off. LOL.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Cat said...

You are too funny. I love the "couple months off" thing. TGIM would TOTALLY say something like that. (In this family, the interviewing roles are reversed, you could say.)

As for me? I hate waiting. Waiting sucks. I also hate packing. Packing sucks. But moving is GREAT fun, and TGIM likes to pack, so despite the waiting game and the whole Did I Mention "Impatient" Is My Middle Name thing, I guess it all evens out in the end, eh?

Good luck!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Greenthumb said...

That totally cracked me up. I hate waiting for anything. I'm sure like me, you did far better than you gave yourself credit for.

you'll still blog with us though right? we're not going to lose you?

Hmmmm?

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Homestead said...

FYI-College Rodeo in the Bo-Zone this weekend.... the police blotter for Bozeman next week should be real interesting.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Mamaramma said...

susie - if we both get this gig, only one of us will take it since we'll be moving to a new town where we won't know daycare situations, etc... And we're not sure if we're ready to hand Little Bird up to the winds of daycare fate just yet.. Did I mention Baltimore was one of our top choices??? I know about you, too.

cat - thanks for the well-wishes. I, too, am impatient - except when distracted with some cake batter. Then, I have all the time in the world.

greendream - oh, yes, We'll be taking our computer with us no matter what - so I can be a menace to society wherever I am!

homestead - I'll be on the lookout! Have you seen my "Best of Bozeman" blog? I kind of got lazy with it since it didn't seem like anyone visited it - but it's on my links. We'll be in Bozeman through June. Will's gonna be the verse coach this summer! Yay! Paid vacation for me!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Homestead said...

Verse coach for Shakespeare? That will have you out on the backroads for a good chunk of the summer!

What happened with the Teach-America thing? Any news yet?

You know, you could get a job teaching in Montana.... They raised starting pay in Helena to $30k... which is pretty good for Montana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter