Mamaramma

In the category of "Mommy Blogs": a chronicle of my life in Chicago and wherever it takes me. Stories from my past.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Ollie, Come Home.

P4080004

It was only a couple of years ago that we walked down what looked like Doggie Death Row at the Springfield Animal Pound, looking for a dog to take home with us. Cage by cage, we passed so many aggressive, barking, howling dogs - all angry at their imprisonment. And then we saw you. Sitting quietly in the corner of your cage, there you were looking downtrodden and oh so sad. They brought you in to a special visiting room so that we could meet you, and you were the sweetest dog we had ever met. When we had to leave, you clung to Will's leg as if to say, "Dear God, do not leave me here another day!"
We brought you home to Chicago, and you were a little freaked out by the traffic, but we eventually taught you to sit at each corner before crossing the street. We found out we were going to have a baby, and we joked with you, "You're one lucky dog, Ollie! If we had known about this 2 months ago, you'd be sitting in that cage today!" You didn't think it was a very funny joke. One thing we learned about you is that you love to chase squirrels. Sadly, Ollie, the squirrels seem to be smarter than you, because the only time that you ever got close enough to one to do any damage, it scratched you in the face, and you came inside whimpering. I think I heard the squirrel laughing. I can't be sure.
Lately you have a new trick. When the baby is taking her nap - her short-slept, highly cherished nap - you like to walk by her door and shake your collar soooo loudly that she inevitably wakes up. Well, I outsmarted you! I've started taking your collar off during the day. But Ollie, that backfired horribly.
Yesterday, we accidentally left one of the gates open, and then let you outside unknowingly. My friend Jen was over, and we were deep in conversation, so I didn't realize that you had been gone until 2 hours had passed. Will came home, and he and Maya and I split up (well, Maya went with her Dada. Although she knows how to say "Oyeeee", I don't think she's a very fast canvasser) and searched the neighborhood for 2 more hours, but we didn't find you. I talked to every postal carrier, crossing guard, and dog walker I ran into, and asked them about you, but no one had seen you. We went home and made up a sign, and posted it on trees and lightposts all over the neighborhood last night. We've got you on the hotlist with the Chicago pound. I'm so afraid though, that all of this is too little, too late. Thank God you have a microchip in you that gives your information when scanned. It just makes me sick to my stomach to see your collar sitting here with the little tag on it that says, "My name's Ollie" and gives my phone number. You should be wearing that collar right now. But I didn't want to wake the baby.

Ollie, Come Home.

15 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Greenthumb said...

Mommarama, baby...I'm sorry. I'm heartbroken. I had a scare the other day when I couldn't find Harlow in the backyard when all the gates 'were' closed. Fortunately I could here her tags, but I couldn't find her. Turns out that I left basement door open and she closed the door to the interior room and couldn't get out. I can imagine how you are feeling right now. Your in my thoughts today. >>>>hugs<<<<

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Circus Kelli said...

Oh no! Mamaramma! I'll definitely be sending out good thoughts for you that Ollie is back home with you soon.

Hey, my Sis lives in Evanston. I don't know how far that is from where you are, but I'll let her know to be on the lookout anyway.

Hugs to you!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh, mamaramma, I've done the same thing with Biscuit and with our previous dog. Those collars can be like tambourines at the wrong time. Praying that Ollie's home safely soon.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous mrtl said...

Oh no! I can only imagine how you're feeling. The worry! Hang in there.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Mamaramma said...

Thanks greenie, Ck, and Susie - I'll let you know what we know when we know it.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Cat said...

Oh NO. My thoughts are going out to you RIGHT NOW, mm-kay? Poor doggie. Here's hoping Ollie comes home soon.
(((hugs)))

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

*super tight-doggie come home-hug*

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Hoping your sweet doggie is found or comes home soon, safe and sound.

Having pets is almost like having children (probably just like it for people who *don't* have kids). They get in our hearts, and when we think we might lose them, it tears our hearts in two.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Mamaramma said...

Thanks mrtl, cat, kristine, and andrea - I sure appreciate all of your good vibes. She is like our first daughter - obviously different from our biological one, but loved very much.

CK - By the by - I live in Rogers Park which is the northernmost neighborhood of Chicago. It's just south of Evanston. I doubt Ollie's gotten that far, but it can't hurt to have more eyes on the lookout. Thanks.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

Please keep us posted.

We will have a big ol' welcome home ollie party when he gets back...after he gets a good talking to and a bath!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Torrie said...

I am sending good vibes your way.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Effie said...

Ohhh, I HOPE "Oyee" comes home soon, safe and sound!!! I can only imagine how you're feeling!

~*~*HUGS*~*~

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Amanda B. said...

Oh, bless your heart sweetie. If I lived there I would help you look for him all day long. I hope you find him soon, I'm sure he's fine and that he will turn up and be SOOOO glad to see you.

Hugs sweetiepea.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Steve Austin said...

Enjoyable blog. Please check out my dog training blog.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger jon said...

I was searching for sporting dog info and found this post. I agree totally!

Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter